Un Guşter

My photo
Also known as Sven, The man downstairs from the man upstairs. The neighbour of the Beast. Chuck Norris, etc. Distributor of random thoughts via poetic parcels. Explorador y aventurero. Mephistofelically inclined towards Machiavellian methods. Too old to wander, too young to travel.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Amazing Grace (En/Ro)

Disclaimer: By popular demand, from now on I'll let everyone know in what language the post will be made, be it English (En), Romanian (Ro) or whatever.

Aviz: Aşadar, de amu în colo am să dau de ştire în ce limbă voi scrie mesajele pe blog, fie Engleză (En), Română (Ro), sau ce-o fi, în cadrul noii campanii de relaţii cu publicul.

Romanian (see English version below)
Astăzi nu m-am simţit suficient de inspirat pentru a scrie un mesaj întreg... e una din zilele alea când plouă cu o ciudă ce vrea să îngroape tot ce-i viu pe lumea asta... una din zilele alea când cheful îşi ia concediu de odihnă iar tu stai şi contemplezi pereţii sau numeri moliile din dulap. Normal ar fi fost o zi perfectă pentru a scrie, dar astăzi se pare că Domnişoara Inspiraţie nu mă iubeşte.

Aşa că am reluat unul din vechiurile mele obiceuri când până şi număratul muştelor de pe pereţi mă plictiseşte... m-am gândit la ce cântece aş vrea să cânte la înmormântarea mea. Nu râdeţi, vă rog, sunt foarte serios. Nu sunt bolnav, n-am nimic, sunt perfect normal, nu trec printr-un moment Cioranian... este un subiect care pe mine mă preocupă, şi vreau ca măcar acel moment din viaţa mea (sau, mă rog, după) sa fie "perfect". Dacă tot trebuie să mă duc, măcar s-o fac cu stil, nu?

Şi vă provoc şi pe voi să vă gândiţi un pic... cum aţi vrea sa toarne părintele aghiazma peste "cutia cea de veci"? În ritm de tango, cu o uvertură de Vivaldi, pe muzica unui vals lent?

Lista mea urmează după mesajul în engleză.

English:
I didn't feel like writing today. I stood before the blank page (well... screen) and it simply didn't come to me. Lady Inspiration is a harsh lover... certainly unpredictable, and it is sometimes hard to keep up with her moodswings. And that blasted rain simply won't go away. If it keeps up like this I might have to write my blog from an Ark.

So what I did was, I took up one of my old habits when counting the mites on the floor can't keep me entertained anymore... I started thinking about what songs they'll play at my funeral. Yes, I'm fine, thank you. No, I don't need to see a doctor. I happen to take this matter quite seriously. It isn't so much a morbid curiosity, but something I have taken the time to consider and continue to plan carefully every now and then. By my reckoning, if I have to go... I might as well do it in style. It could be the biggest moment of my life, you know. And it's sod's law I shan't be present at it.

But I would be very curious to see if anyone has given this some thought. So here's my exercise for you. Take a moment, and think which song(s) would you like them to cry to at your funeral? Carl Orff's "O fortuna", Brahms' "Hungarian dance" (fancy that), or Metallica maybe?

Here's my list:
Amazing Grace (instrumental version, bagpipes)
Haggard's In a fullmoon procession (instrumental)
Apocalyptica's The Unforgiven & Nothing else matters
"Davy Jones", by Hans Zimmer
Lake of Tears "Headstones" (acoustic, instrumental)
Silent Night (or rather, Stille Nacht, since I always liked the German version better)
Waltzing Matilda (orchestral version)
La Serenissima (see Loreena McKennitt version)
Metallica "To live is to die"
Ciprian Porumbescu "Baladă pentru vioară"
The Verve "Bittersweet Symphony" (violin only)

No comments: